lunes, 23 de noviembre de 2009

Lord Channis Lauros Journal



Muido helps me

Two full days have passed since the last time I wrote my journal, yet these are the very first moments of calm in my troublesome agenda. The varieties of colors present at the rise of the dawn remember me of the prismatic sphere we’ve faced yesterday. But I’m going too fast. Let’s remember step by step the last series of events…

We left the druid groove feeling stupid. We had been easily fooled by probably the most malevolent being of this realm. I still blush with anger when I think how naive we were. This damned demigod of magic never removed the binding spell on master dwarf. Everything was a charade. Adventurers of our experience should never fall in such mouse traps. This is just an example about how even the most brilliant minds can fall prey of sudden moments of cloudy thinking.

The druids were tolerant with us and didn’t kill us, which is saying a lot considering they are not famous for their patience. But they asked us to eliminate the threat represented by myself and the priest of the sun. My friends remembered the great power of my master Muido and told the druids about the possibility of receiving help from him. One of the druids told he could reach the City of Sand with me and talk to Muido. The rest of the party remained at the Druid Groove trying to find a solution for the priest of the sun.


The druid and I arrived to the city and as usual, we found several traders at the front gates announcing their cheap and high quality products with loud voices and overstating gestures. Good thing to be back at home, although only for a short period of time. Even the air I breathe at the City of Sand seems to purify my body and strengthen my spirit as if preparing me to face the nearby dangers ahead in my path.

We didn’t waste time at the traders and went directly to Muido’s Temple, the most important of the city. Peasant gossips speak about a legend where Muido himself is responsible for hiding the city from unwanted guests. My inner thoughts seriously consider those rumors are probably true knowing the incommensurable power of my master.

I found Muido at his temple, floating in the air, meditating in the usual lotto flower position with both eyes closed. Yet he recognized me and welcomed me. I apologized to my master for asking him a great favor, beyond my actual level of psionic powers. To my surprise, the mere mention of the Demigod of Magic, Khal the Drak, made him open an eye. That was a situation I never witnessed before when I was a child training under his command. A moment later, his eyes were closed again.

When I was stating my case to my master, I felt something amiss around the air. A feeling I never felt before but that clearly spoke of immediate danger. The lives of my friends were at risk, I had to go there right then, and so I told to Muido. The old man’s face darkened. He quickly agreed to help me with the geas problem, using the psionic power known as Bend Reality. Within a moments thought, I felt the magic of the geas vanishing from my body, collapsing before the powerful mind of Muido. It was gone forever. One problem solved thanks to my master, but there was no time to lose with well mannered frivolities. He knew I was thankful. The druid returned to the council after confirming the geas spells were gone.

The decision taken by the druids regarding the priest of the sun

A few hours later, I would know the decision behind the case involving the priest of the sun. The druids decided to give him something called a Dark Seed, which was some sort of root that when eaten, would prevent the target to damage the tree, by crushing his heart. According to the druids, we had two weeks to dispel the geas on the priest, or the seed would grow and the priest would be converted in one of the druid’s shambling mounds, to remain inside the groove as a guardian for the rest of his days.

The battle against Lord Darn Trasilik

Meanwhile, at the City of Sand, Muido and I departed to our lands again using the psionic abilities of the old man. We arrived at the middle of a battle and my eyes hardly believed the desolation around my keep. I saw maybe one hundred bodies lying on the ground, presumably dead by some powerful magic judging for the rigor mortis of the corpses. I also saw a glabrezu attacking my friends and behind the demon, the puppeteer, Lord Darn Trasilik, the High Priest of the Demigod of Magic, protected inside a nine circle spell called Prismatic Sphere. His deadly scythe was hovering around his head, ready to chop anyone who dared to attack him.

When Muido and I appeared at the scene, something immediately changed. My master spoke directly to the demon using the infernal language. He called it Odium. The demon bowed to my master as if doing a reverence and then left the scene leaving behind a fine dust charged with a sulfuric odor. I was astonished wondering about the respect showed by the chaotic evil demon to my master.

The high cleric spoke:
- You!! You have no right to be here!

My master, without opening his eyes replied:
- Yet we are here to stay.

His words seemed to cut the air and two other people appeared flanking Muido. The three of them never opened his eyes.

- You CAN’T intervene. And you know it!!! – The voice of Trasilik denoted anger and hate.
- Yes we can’t – replied Muido – but HE can.

As my master spoke, another warrior appeared at the scene. I couldn’t recognize him at first, but Bahmut clearly knew a summoning had been conjured to bring to the fight the Great Master Kensai of Japan. The evil high priest smiled with a horrible grin, presaging disaster.

- Ok. It seems you are going to lose one of your champions today.

Trasilik invoked a powerful spell, clearly annoyed for the intervention of Muido and his companions. I had time to see a giant fire tongue engulfing me and my friends and managed to protect me with some degree of fire resistance. Just before the fire covered everything around us, I managed to watch at Bahmut right at the center of the powerful invocation, helpless and about to be consumed by the magic. A part of me wouldn’t allow him to die. It was no magic or psychic ability, just mere willpower leaving my spirit and avoiding my friend to die horribly. When the last fiery clouds dissipated, I saw Bahmut right on his foot, seriously burned and scorched, but alive. He looked at me, I was also heavily wounded. It seemed he realized I did something, but there was no time to find out explanations. The battle was far from over.

The Great Master Kensai took his katana, and performed an incredible prowess attacking the prismatic sphere several times in rapid succession. The sphere started to disintegrate before our eyes with each hit of the blade. Later we found the name of that mighty sword: Masamune, one of the two most powerful weapons ever forged.

The sphere was destroyed, but the warrior fell to the ground after such a display, bleeding and unconscious. Shardia, the paladin, didn’t hesitate and healed the kensai restoring him some strength so he could continue battling at her side. Bahmut followed her example and projected a healing aura among the party members battling the evil caster. The dwarf Ibizar then attacked the caster with rage. Every hit of the dwarf was enough to shatter a stone wall, but the caster seemed to withstand such heavy punishment. Trasilik used another spell, this time a negative energy one. A black mantle covered Ibizar and Shardia, draining health from their bodies, weakening them, and killing them slowly. It was his last curse, because the next second the Great Master Kensai charged him wielding Masamune and performing an unstoppable blow, cutting the evil caster in two pieces, which dropped to the ground, turned into ashes and were absorbed by the earth along with all his equipment. The great master kensai fell to the ground again and the fight was finally over.

Unfortunately, Shardia and Ibizar were in a complicated and urgent situation. They had mere seconds before the dark magic of Trasilik kills them without mercy. Shardia immediately returned to Mathgamna and we started to think how to save our dwarven brother. I used my psionic powers to dispel one of the maladies upon the dwarf, but there was still the most dangerous spell on him. Malek immediately took the dwarf and both of them teleported to the Church of Good in search for a priest. That was the last time I saw them, but later I discovered, via a telepathic link, that Ibizard was alive, and they’ve found a new peregrine priest of Good who offered his help to our group.

After my friends left the scene, the Great Master Kensai held a brief conversation with Muido and his companions, and then returned to wherever he came from. My master then told me another of his famous riddles: “Be ready for tonight’s battle and remember that today events were not random. Someone wanted these events to happen this way”. After his mysterious words, he and his comrades vanished, leaving me, Bahmut and Canrith the rogue, alone with plenty of dead corpses around our desolated lands.

The Scarlet Brotherhood appears on the scene

There was no time to mourn the peasants. We needed to act quickly. I decided to fly over our lands looking for survivors, but as soon as I took off, I saw a mysterious dark trail leaving the scene of the battle going south, towards the ancient temple of Abraxas and the old pantheon. The rogue immediately smelled a fresh clue and was unwilling to let it go, so we started to follow the trail.

While following the clue, Brother Alesco and his comrades appeared from nowhere and saluted us. We stopped and had a little chat with them. They claimed to know we had problems and decided to stop by to offer their help. We diplomatically declined and explained them we were following a fresh clue. They offered to join us in our endeavor, no matter how dangerous it could be. The whole group continued to move, some of us flying and the monks running very fast. We soon reached our final destination, only to confirm our initial reasoning proved to be correct, the trail leaded directly to the ancient temple of Abraxas.

I decided to stay away from it without more help from Ibizar and Malek, but Canrith was eager to find out more. He and the monks entered the temple and Bahmut remained outside with me. We noticed the temple was not completely sunk as always, it seemed it had emerged from the ground a couple of feet, as if some strong telluric movement had occurred.

When the monks and the rogue left, I began to brief Bahmut on the situation, the appearance of the Scarlet Brotherhood and our issues with Khal-the-Drak. In the middle of our conversation, we listened to the creak of the temple doors opening and closing. They managed somehow to enter the temple. I tried to telepathically contact Malek without luck so I started to worry about Ibizar, I didn’t know he was alive or what was happening to them at that time. Such uncertainty was simply killing me.

After a few minutes, Canrith and the monks appeared again. The first one explained to us the trail divided in two inside the temple, one path leading to Yoal-Baden-the-Regen, and the other one leading to Grumsh. I didn’t understand any of this and my head was starting to get dizzy. We needed to sit down and analyze the situation calmly. The monks were very excited about the temple, they calculated it had about four thousand years old and they offered to pay us if we let them come and pray, as if the temple was some architectonic touristic attraction. We told them we needed the approval of all the party members, and although they didn’t like our answer, they accepted our decision. Unfortunately, Bahmut was a little more energetic in asking Brother Alesco to leave our ground, and it seems this behavior was not pleasant to the monk who immediately asked Bahmut for shelter, as a noble knight. Bahmut was obliged to fulfill his requirement and installed the monk and his comrades in the house of the late Danilo, our administrator, killed by Trasilik’s dark magic. Now our crops would be in danger. The old man was an expert farmer and administrator.

After this episode I actively tried to find more survivors, and managed to find more than thirty people, completely scared because of the recent events. Many of them found themselves suddenly ripped away from their families. Husbands, wives, daughters and sons were killed without mercy by the evil priest in the glimpse of an eye. I assured them it was our mistake and I pledged to them I would do everything in my power to protect them and to compensate them the best I could for their losses. I also asked them to go to the borders of our lands and remain there for an undefined time, until our keep becomes secure once again. While I watched them walking away slowly, seeing most women crying without finding solace and thinking that some children could grow without their parents, a deep sorrow invaded my heart and I couldn’t stop a tear to wet my cheeks. Then, the sorrow was replaced with anger, aimed at the one responsible for the mass murdering and I solemnly swore to myself that this horrendous act wouldn’t remain unpunished.

I tried again to contact Malek telepathically and succeeded. I explained them our situation and urged them to return to the keep as soon as possible. Then I went to the battle zone and created a circle of fire to burn the bodies in order to maintain them away from being carrion food. The monks joined the act and remained in respectful silence for some minutes. I couldn’t assure if they were praying.

Later I contacted Malek again. To my regret they hadn’t find any means of returning, so I contacted Eladan to see if he could help us. He promised to send one of the Fallen Leaves to Rjurik for our friends, and I promised to owe them a favor in return.

After an hour and realizing that nobody arrived, I contacted Malek for the last time to see what had happened. It seemed our friends from the Fallen Leaves could not help us, and Ibizar, Malek and the peregrine priest started the long journey from Rjurik to our lands. They would arrive too late. In a last desperate resort, I looked for Brother Alesco’s help, but the monk had no means to help us in our dilemma. Nevertheless I thanked the knight-monk for his time and left his chambers.

A restless night

Bahmut, Canrith and I have passed a restless night inside a rope trick waiting for a battle that never happened. My confusion is greater than ever. I simply don’t understand what’s going on. I only hope the arrival of Ibizar, Malek and the peregrine priest. Maybe they have a better idea of what to do. I think we are burying ourselves every time deeper in a battle of higher powers, with little chance of success. We could even die before comprehending the ulterior motives of the master minds behind the plots. Nevertheless I have to remain alive and with all my senses keen to solve these mysteries. I don’t think Trasilik is dead, because a dead body simply remains dead, and this was not the case. Also one of Muido’s party members stated that Trasilik could not die. Probably they are aware of something we don’t.

One thing is sure. I made a pledge to the people of our village and I intend to fulfill it. Trasilik killed innocent people without mercy. They never stood a chance.

There was no need to kill them, Trasilik. You know that. I hope you’re scrying me while I write my journal, because at the end of the day, if you never understand why we keep chasing your head or why we never cease in attacking your church and disbanding your followers, there’s one thing you’ll surely understand. Killing innoncent helpless peasants was an awful act even for you. There was no need to do it. To be more clear, that… was a mistake. And you know what happens when mortals, ascendants or gods make mistakes? Please pay attention to this. There are… consequences. Yesterday you signed a more powerful contract than any cooperative geas you may have casted before. Congratulations, you’re about to face our wrath, because you signed a contract to have a tireless enemy, the Heroes of Law.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario